Saturday 29 June 2013

Iker Casillas: “Mourinho made me cry”

Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas, has revealed the way Jose Mourinho treated him, left him in tears and made him unwell.The Spain international was excluded from the team during the second half of last season, and forced to spent five months sitting on the bench after losing his place to Diego Lopez through injury.

The demotion of a club icon such as Casillas to the role of the reserve caused great consternation in the Spanish capital and the legendary goalkeeper freely admits that the situation affected him deeply and casued him serious emotional problems.

“I’ve cried, I’ve suffered, I’ve been unwell, I’ve had sleepless nights.” 
 Casillas admitted in an interview with Fifa.com

He also said he considered leaving the club, before Mourinho eventually departed to Chelsea.

“I’m a ‘Madridista’ right down to my soul and above all else, what matters to me is the club,I would love to retire at Real Madrid, but I will not make problems if a coach does not have me.”

Casillas, who has retained his number one spot for Spain at the Confederations Cup, stated that it was a relief to be playing again.

“I have regained happiness,” he enthused. “It was not easy but I’m another Iker Casillas now.After five months, it takes some time until everything comes back to you, but, luckily, I have had a great deal of help of my team-mates and coach and that’s important when it comes to having to start over again.”

No comments:

Post a Comment